Surveys of seniors have shown that at least 3 in 5 seniors are concerned about memory loss or loss of mental capacity. Yet ageing doesn’t have to mean losing memory. In fact, many seniors manage to get smarter and have better memories as they age. Most senators and many past presidents are over the age of 50.
Many CEOs of fortune 500 companies are over the age of 50 or 60. It’s not the age or the passing of time that causes memory loss. It’s when the brain ceases to be used that it starts to atrophy. One way to prevent memory loss and improve memory is to challenge your mind and memory very single day. Here are three simple and easy memory games to help keep your mind active and your brain healthy:
The matching card games
- Take a deck of cards and remove all diamonds and clubs. Then remove all the face cards.
- In the remaining deck are 20 cards, from Ace to ten in just hearts and spades.
- Anytime you watch two cards, remove them from the table.
- Try to clear the table in as few turns as possible.
2. The remember later game
- Sometimes during the day, pick something to remember.
- For example, you might walk down the hall and tell yourself to remember that 12+12 is 24.
- The next day ask yourself that what the thing you wanted to remember was.
- Try to play this memory game with different things; like tasks, events, people’s behaviors or phrases.
3. The word association game :
- This game stretches your memories of words and concepts.
- It requires at least two people to play, but can be played with as many as four to six.
- Pick a category of words, such as food or people. One person start with a word.
- For example, if the category is food and someone says ‘apple’, the next person might say ‘egg’, then someone might say ‘grapes’.
- These games can all help you keep your mind sharp.
Choose a game that you find both the fun and challenging. Try to play a memory game every day. If you keep your mind active, you’ll find that as you age, your mental prowess will grow stronger rather than weaker.
Originally posted 2016-02-16 17:36:39.